We Can Do It Background

Thursday, April 5, 2012

"Cheat" Smarter

Part of making a change in life includes a change in mentality. Most "diets" have me ready to cheat within the first few days (sometimes hours). These days, I see things differently, and it's making an impact.

One thing I like about doing the Weight Watchers is that "cheating" isn't really an issue. You can eat anything you want, as long as you track your points. This makes it much less stressful for me in trying to figure out what I can or can't eat.

After a few months on the program, I now feel more empowered in my choices. When I visit a local Texas "home-cooking" restaurant here in Katy, the first thing that comes to mind is to order my former usual of chicken-fried steak with cream gravy and a potato of any kind. These days, I know that I can still have a yummy treat in the form of fried shrimp, a vegetable, and a side salad. Before you freak out about the "fried" part of that statement, know this: chicken-fried steak with cream gravy is on average 18 points, while my new fried shrimp are half that at 9 points!

Not only am I getting a great dinner as a treat, but I don't feel like a waddling penguin when I leave the restaurant. I'm full without being miserable the rest of the night.

Tonight was another victory. At dinner with my BFF at our favorite Mexican food place, I chose (for the second time) a salad with fajita beef over full-on beef fajitas. Since it was a restaurant salad, it was still more fattening and had more preservatives than if I had made it at home. BUT, life change doesn't stop when you leave your own kitchen. Better choices in the real world make a difference.

So, here's my encouragement to you: don't feel guilty for "cheating" when you can feel empowered by a positive choice.


Faithfully, fluffully yours,

No comments:

Post a Comment