We Can Do It Background

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bird Poop

Week 1 of adding exercise to my routine paid off! Who knew, right? Lost 3.4 lbs with a few walks of the dogs and a little house cleaning. Score! Back on track after two weeks of gain. Praise the Lord!

When I found out the good news at weigh-in on Tuesday, I was even more excited to keep up the exercise routine. Tuesday was a beautiful walk. Wednesday's... well, it started out nice.

My routine has been to change into my workout clothes as soon as I get home from work. That way I don't get sidetracked. Plus, it helps me to eat a little better at dinner after my walk. Don't want to waste the work I did! The doggies have adapted to the routine, too. As soon as I pull out my tennis shoes, they start jumping around excitedly. Jaxon goes straight to the door so he can be the first to get his leash! My sweet old man!

Shoes on, leashes on, earbuds in, door locked. We chose a new route Wednesday, trying to keep it fresh for the dogs and myself. Halfway through our walk, Jaxon seemed a little more tired than on previous walks since it was hotter outside. Luckily, I spotted a tree-covered sidewalk ahead and changed our route to include it. We strolled much slower once we hit the trees so the dogs could cool off. And that's when it happened. 

I got pooped on by a bird.

I did not see said bird, but I am confident it was a large bird. The "debris" was significant. It was disgusting. In my rush to get it off my chest, I almost used my hand to wipe it. I quickly realized my error and grabbed a stick instead.

It's then, in that moment, that I realized just how far I had come. The old Kerri would have removed the poop, taken it as a "sign from God" that I was not meant to exercise, walked home, and put her tennis shoes back in the closest with a perfect excuse to leave them there. Nature itself was rejecting my choice to exercise, right?!

Mr. Blue Bird on my shoulder...
Instead, the new Kerri, grabbed a stick and, as she started removing the bird poop, though to herself, "This bird must have an excellent level of fiber intake in its diet." 

That's right, fiber. Along with my recent addition of exercise to my diet, I've made a conscious effort to get a recommended daily dose of fiber through my food choices. So it's been on my mind lately.

And rather than use bird poop as an excuse to stop exercising, I chose to see it as an acknowledgement of my good choices. That bird was saying, "Look! I'm working on my fiber intake, too!" 

Well, good for you, birdie. Good for you! As for me, I walked again tonight. Only this time, I avoided all trees!

Faithfully, fluffully yours,

2 comments:

  1. Oh your blog reminds me of many bird poop instances. I am laughing a much needed laugh! Thanks Kerri! Found your blog on the WW website....Love it love it love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got a laugh. Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete